- To ease and facilitate the transition of the new attorney into the firm;
- To quicken the new attorney’s familiarity with and understanding of office culture and infrastructure;
- To broaden the new attorney’s professional and interpersonal contacts within the firm; and
- To provide support and guidance in professional and firm career development.
To achieve these Goals, the Mentor and Mentee agree:
- To meet regularly, at least every other week, and to be in contact by phone or email every week. The firm provides a budget to facilitate these meetings.
- The Mentor will introduce the Mentee to their practice area’s legal community.
- The Mentor will provide planning assistance for professional development opportunities and encourage continuing legal education in and outside the firm.
- To discuss a variety of topics related to the practice of law. Some topics will be covered in the Mentee’s initial orientation to the firm, and the Mentor agrees to answer any questions the Mentee may have concerning them. The topics will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Ethics and professionalism
- Relationships with clients, other attorneys (in and outside the firm), the judiciary and the public
- Professional work habits, organizational skills and practice management
- Economics of practicing law in Mentee’s practice area
- Responsibility and opportunities for pro bono work, bar activities and community service