In addition to pro bono legal representation, MLA attorneys have over the years provided leadership roles in countless civic organizations and have served in such roles as President of the American Bar Association, President of the Colorado American Civil Liberties Union, President of the Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia, Chair of the Georgia Conservancy, Chair of the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority, Chair of the Atlanta Union Mission, General Counsel to Habitat for Humanity of Atlanta, and Principal to the Truman National Security Project and have served on many boards of directors, including Washington, DC’s Children’s Law Center, Zoo Atlanta, CentroNía of Washington, DC and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra.
The firm encourages every attorney to become involved in the community. The firm publishes on its intranet a directory of organizations in which MLA attorneys are involved. This directory allows new attorneys to speak with others in the firm already active in organizations to find the best way to get involved.
The firm strongly supports Habitat for Humanity, Hands on Atlanta, Service Juris, and the March of Dimes.
Recent 2008-2009 Community Service Involvement includes:
- San Diego Office Supports the California Innocence
- Denver Office Rebuilds Again
- Atlanta MLA Paralegals/Case Assistants Continue Their Support for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Los Angeles Legal Secretary Supports Cancer Event
- MLA Continues Support of San Francisco Food Bank Drive
- MLA Revitalizes School for ServiceJuris Day
- MLA Goes to the Dogs (Friends of Humane Society of Tijuana)
- MLA Continues Tradition for Habitat for Humanity
- Atlanta Office Completes Seven-Day Habitat Build
- Denver Office Gets Ready for School
- MLA Supports National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- MLA Celebrates Atlanta Habitat for Humanity 25th Anniversary and 1000th House Build