Many of the issues leaders of action sports companies encounter are varied and unique. McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP (MLA) is the legal team who understands the business, competitors, and industry trends: we are genuinely interested in the business and know how to maneuver within the action sports culture.
MLA’s action sports attorneys assist both emerging and well-known action sports companies including surf, skate, snow, MMA, and moto businesses during every stage of the business cycle.
You will find our attorneys active and involved within the industry. MLA is a member and sponsor of the San Diego Sports Innovators, a sponsor of the Surf Industry Manufacturers Association and the Shop-Eat-Surf Executive Roundtables, and a regular contributor to Transworld Business. You may even find our attorneys on the break or slopes.
Let us assist you with the legal aspects of your business while you focus on the business aspects of developing your company and building your reputation. We have the diverse legal specialties to fit your needs through the full life cycle of your business.
Starting Your Business
- decide on corporate structure
- create a tax plan
- find and secure space
- understand the nuances of California labor laws
- create an employee handbook
- establish employee policies
Developing Your Products and Identity
- obtain and enforce trademarks and patents
- avoid infringement
- stop counterfeits
- protect your trade secrets
- develop outsource and license relationships
Growing Your Business
- prepare contracts to bring partner and investors on board
- buy and sell business and product lines for profit
- locate and obtain financing
- widen your referral network – accountants, VCs, angels, etc.
- set up successful endorsements and sponsorship agreements
- consider importing and exporting products
Getting Value for Your Business
- formulate an exit strategy - sell the business; develop strategic buyouts
- develop a business succession plan
- manage your personal assets - prepare a will; design a tax plan to maximize income
Planning for Your Future.
- business succession planning
- personal estate planning
- buy/sell agreements
- planning for the right business exit