Acquisitions and Dispositions
The McKenna Long & Aldridge (MLA) Real Estate Team draws upon its years of experience in handling the acquisition and disposition of single projects, as well as complex, multi-project and portfolio transactions in every major sector of the industry, including:
- health care
- student housing
We have carefully developed the systems and relationships required to quickly and efficiently consummate substantial transactions that are national in scope, as well as individual assets of any size. And, unlike other national firms, our senior attorneys are hands-on right from the start—working closely with their counterparts in the full complement of related real estate sub-specialties to address all the needs of the transaction, including land use, due diligence, environmental, joint ventures, leasing and debt structuring, to closing.
The firm’s client list includes publicly-traded home builders, some of the nation’s largest commercial developers, local and regional developers, institutional owners of real estate asset portfolios and many others involved in the business of real estate.
We handle a wide array of acquisition and disposition transactions, including:
- Build-to-suit single-tenant facilities
- Condominiums and subdivisions
- Distressed real estate portfolios
- Health care facilities
- Hotel and entertainment properties
- Landmark buildings
- Large scale industrial and utility projects
- Major manufacturing and warehouse facilities
- Mixed-use projects
- Multi-location stores and restaurants
- Office complexes
- Residential developments
- Shopping centers
Our firm represents developers, investors, financial institutions, governmental entities and real estate acquisition and financing funds in transactions involving traditional equity and financing investments, as well as structuring complex transactions including seller financing, sale/leasebacks, and like-kind exchanges to support our clients’ business objectives. Additionally, we have handled many acquisitions and dispositions involving environmentally sensitive or contaminated sites, and properties intended for redevelopment and re-use.
Our wide-ranging services include:
- Structuring, negotiating, documenting, and closing purchases and sales of single projects and portfolios of real estate holdings — raw land, properties under development and fully developed.
- Advising on traditional and non-traditional financing and equity vehicles including up-REIT transactions.
- Analyzing and persuing land-use, permitting, entitlement and environmental solutions.
- Preparing and negotiating ground, master, and space leases on behalf of landlords and tenants.
- Experience in managing large scale retail roll-outs including, developing a model which allows a high volume deal flow in an efficient, thorough and cost-effective manner
- Handling foreclosures and deed-in-lieu of foreclosure transactions.
- Due diligence.
- Negotiating multi-party ground lease and air rights developments.
- Obtaining access, utility, and other easements and services needed for development.
- Assemblage of project sites.
- April 6, 2011
- Creating Value Out of Air: Three-dimensional airspace subdivisions can add value to real estate developments.As real estate developers seek to maximize value by creating or redeveloping urban properties into high-density, mixed-use developments, concerns regarding autonomy of operations for each use, conflicts among the different uses, and financial constraints can arise. Three-dimensional subdivisions—airspace lots or parcels created vertically and horizontally within a building to establish separate legally transferrable lots—is a way of addressing all of these concerns.
- October 20, 2010
- Dissolving Community Redevelopment
- Receivership: Distressed Real Estate
- Receivers Maximize Value of Distressed Assets, While Saving Lenders Money
- Real estate powerhouse emerges
- Q&A With McKenna Long's Tony Canzoneri
- Public-Private Partnership Gets Judge's Green Light