McKenna Long & Aldridge's Food and Drug lawyers assist manufacturers of food ingredients in preparing and filing:
- Citizen petitions
- Comments on USDA and FDA proposals
- Food additive petitions
- Generally recognized as safe (GRAS) affirmation petitions
Other client services include:
- Devising strategies for the safety evaluation of food ingredients
- Reviewing new product formulations
- Reviewing food labels and advertisements
- Advising on contractual and product liability issues
- Providing advice on pesticides and contaminants in foods
- Counseling clients regarding state environmental and labeling laws, such as California's Proposition 65
- November 7, 2012On November 6, 2012, a majority (53%) of California’s citizens voted against Proposition 37, a ballot initiative which would have required the labeling of certain genetically engineered foods.
- October 23, 2012Frequently Asked Questions about the potentially groundbreaking Proposition 37, a proposed amendment to California's Sherman Food, Drug and Cosmetic Law.
- October 11, 2012An analytical framework of California's proposed Proposition 37 summarizing the Operative Provisions of the Initiative – the labeling requirement and the labeling prohibition, examining the Key Definitional Terms and the Exemptions that determine when and to whom the Initiative applies, and concluding by reviewing the Enforcement Provisions that determine how this law will be enforced.