Intellectual Property & Technology
Developing intellectual property (IP) – and knowing how to protect it – is a competitive cornerstone in today’s marketplace. Changes in the legal and political landscape of intellectual property worldwide present a host of challenges to manufacturers and designers, their customers, licensors, and licensees.
The highly-regarded IP attorneys at McKenna Long & Aldridge (MLA) skillfully apply their legal knowledge, technical savvy and business acumen to help clients address today's unique challenges and strategically create, manage and benefit from their IP assets. Realizing that the protection of intellectual property is now a global matter, we have developed a deep knowledge and understanding of domestic and international issues. In fact, many of our attorneys have lived and worked internationally—successfully handling intellectual property matters around the world. In addition, our paralegals are experienced in both domestic and international issues as they work closely with our IP litigators to not only provide support but manage costs as well.
The welcome addition of Luce Forward’s intellectual property practice to MLA further strengthens the IP team by adding patent prosecutors with a wide range of technical and scientific backgrounds, trademark and copyright prosecutors, licensing specialists, seasoned litigators, as well as corporate and tax attorneys with a deep understanding of intellectual property issues. This diverse and interdisciplinary legal team complements the existing group as they truly operate at the intersection of business and intellectual property.
Our intellectual property attorneys protect and defend clients' intellectual property rights effectively and efficiently—avoiding litigation whenever possible. In cases when litigation is necessary or appropriate, our attorneys provide the caliber, depth, and breadth of litigation experience and resources that only a full service firm like MLA can provide.
To ensure optimal protection and exploitation of valuable intellectual property and technology rights, we represent our clients in litigation matters in all forums, including before all United States (U.S.) federal courts, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (PTO), and the International Trade Commission (ITC). In addition, we prepare and prosecute patent and trademark applications throughout the world—routinely handling reexamination proceedings. Our IP practice also regularly prepares validity, infringement, and right-to-use opinions, as well as registrability opinions. Additionally, we counsel and negotiate license and distribution agreements affecting intellectual property and technology rights.
Currently, MLA’s IP practice features more than 50 IP attorneys, patent litigators, and patent agents. The firm serves a wide range of companies from startups to multinational conglomerates in matters throughout the world. Additionally, MLA handles literally thousands of patent and trademark matters worldwide.
Whether litigating IP cases, preparing and prosecuting patent and trademark applications, or providing proactive counsel to best position our clients, MLA’s IP attorneys are supported by leading-edge litigation support tools and experienced staff all working together to provide high-quality, cost-effective client service.
MLA is recognized as having a leading Intellectual Property & Technology practice in the industry. Named a “Top Patent Firm” by Intellectual Property Today magazine and as one of the nation’s leading firms for securing the highest quality patents for clients in the consumer electronics industry, by Intellectual Asset Management magazine, MLA's team is poised to assist clients in any area of Intellectual Property.
MLA’s IP & Technology team has extensive experience with the full range of intellectual property issues including:
- Global Patent Litigation - MLA’s patent litigation team has earned top 10 IP verdicts in U.S. jury trials. The firm counsels clients on the availability of patent protection, prosecution and defense of clients’ rights in disputes of infringement or misappropriation, as well as litigation in all areas of intellectual property with particular emphasis on patent infringement matters.
- Patent Prosecution - MLA works closely with its clients to develop effective patent strategies, using our extensive skills and know-how to protect our clients’ IP assets. Our wide range of patent prosecution related services include: preparation, filing, and prosecution of applications domestically and abroad; administrative appeals; interferences; petitions and protests; and reexamination matters.
- International Trade - Our attorneys have a long history of practice before the ITC covering a wide variety of international trade and intellectual property Section 337 actions. Our attorneys have significant experience both working at the ITC and practicing before the ITC.
- IP Transactions - Our attorneys advise clients regarding the acquisition, disposition, and commercialization of intellectual property assets through a variety of means, including commercial transactions, licensing (both in-bound and out-bound), joint ventures, and joint development. MLA’s IP practice has wide-ranging experience with the interaction of intellectual property issues and business projects.
- Trademarks - Our core trademark legal services include domestic and foreign trademark searches; prosecution of applications; all post-registration maintenance and recordation of assignments; as well as domestic and foreign prosecution and defense of opposition and cancellation proceedings before the courts and the TTAB and its foreign country equivalents.
- Copyrights - In addition to helping our clients plan for maximum copyright protection and to register copyrights in the U.S. and other countries, our attorneys also represent clients in litigation matters involving copyright issues.
- Trade Secrets - We also have vast experience handling a wide array of trade secrets issues, including developing internal procedures and security measures for our clients; managing all aspects of trade secrets litigation; and the evaluation and transfer of trade secrets in mergers and acquisitions.
- IP Rights and Technical Data - Our Intellectual Property and Government Contracts practices regularly team to counsel on and litigate issues of ownership and licensing of intellectual property rights under federal government contracts and subcontracts.
Life Sciences and Biotechnology - Our team has extensive experience representing emerging and developing companies in all areas of pharmaceuticals and biotechnology. MLA is an industry leader in the development and commercialization of patent portfolios for the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry.
- Obviousness-type double patenting: A trap for the unwary
- Patent License Challenges As Compulsory Counterclaims
- The KORUS FTA: Only as Good as We Make It
- McKenna Long & Aldridge opens office in Seoul
- McKenna Long Aldridge's Stephanie L. Seidman, Ph.D.: Working hard, hiring smart people key to success
- Top Attorneys - 2012