Public Policy and Regulatory Affairs
McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP (MLA) is a nationally recognized leader in the complex field of government affairs, providing our clients with a broad range of legal, governmental and political experience. MLA houses a highly acclaimed Public Policy and Regulatory Affairs practice with more than 60 attorneys and professionals, in seven offices in the U.S. and Brussels. Our bipartisan team is composed of professionals who have held public office and served as diplomats, as well as those who have previously served as staff and advisors to U.S. presidents, governors, Members of Congress, and mayors.
Based on our background, experience and insight, we are able to customize public sector strategies to resolve our clients’ issues with government, and to identify opportunities that will positively impact their business goals. Our clients range from multinational corporations, to non-profit organizations. Additionally, we represent governments with issues pending before the U.S. Congress and federal agencies, as well as local governments across the country seeking assistance at the state or federal levels of government. Ranked as one of the top lobbying law firms in The National Law Journal's LegalTimes Influence 50 annual survey, the MLA Public Policy team is considered a leader in government advocacy.
What We Do
We work with clients to design and implement public affairs, legislative, executive branch and agency strategies that will have the greatest impact on policy makers. Our team provides experienced advice on the legislative process and assists clients in developing partners and coalitions to support strategic initiatives. We draft advocacy pieces and statutory language and work to engage with the senior staffs of committees in U.S. Congress, State Legislatures, and Executive branch bodies, including Governors, Mayors and Attorneys General offices on political strategies necessary to support regulatory, legislative and business investment initiatives. We have assisted our clients in some of the following ways:
- Federal - we advance legislative and regulatory policy
initiatives within the halls of Congress, the White House, and federal agencies
involving issues of federal taxation, health care, international trade, energy
and the environment as well as matters involving Congressional investigations. We
advise clients on the budget process and their involvement in helping to shape
- National - we successfully manage nationwide public policy
initiatives, including partnering with our network of first-in-class strategists across the
country. Our practice involvement extends into key organizations including the
National Governors Association, Democratic and Republican Governors
Associations, National Association of State Attorneys General, U.S. Conference
of Mayors and National Conference of State Legislatures, as well as others.
- State - with offices in key locations including Colorado, New York, Georgia and California, we are able to impact policy decisions in state executive offices and legislatures across the country.
- Local - we understand that “all politics is local” and can assist clients in identifying when and how to approach a county or municipality, with the same insight we bring to broader initiatives.
- International - from Canada to China, our seasoned professionals work across borders in advance of our clients' interests, including participation in bilateral and multilateral trade agreement negotiations.
In addition to our experience in the above arenas, we offer additional support to our clients through our strategic communications and crisis management services. Our professionals work with clients to develop messages that resonate with decision makers, and augment government affairs efforts.
Our practice includes an established Political Law team that ensures all of our political and advocacy activities comply with state and federal regulations and reporting requirements. In addition, our attorneys counsel clients and provide training to ensure their activities are compliant with all federal and state ethics laws.
- Unemployment, tax reform should top 2015 legislative agenda
- More Oversight Would Go a Long Way to Helping Patients
- HHS will integrate state regulatory activities in exchanges
- McKenna Long Adds Leading Voice to Health Care Discussion with New Blog Focused on Exchanges
- D.C.-area appointments for July 7
- Lobbying world