The McKenna Long & Aldridge (MLA) Real Estate team offers clients a multi-disciplinary experience that spans the spectrum of real estate development, investment and finance. We are known and respected for taking a sensible, business-oriented approach to the handling of client matters. Well aware that conducting business today requires a critical evaluation of potential risks, responsibilities and rewards, the firm's real estate attorneys focus on practical and innovative solutions to complex problems that arise in real estate transactions.
MLA assists clients with national real estate transactions from ground-up development of retail, commercial and residential projects, to lender representations in large, complex loan closings, restructurings and defaults to intricate, mixed-use development and public-private partnerships. Our solid Real Estate Team has earned its reputation for timely, cost-efficient representation on real estate projects and transactions that have included:
- acquisition, sale, leasing, financing and construction of major office, hotel, industrial buildings retail shopping centers, multifamily, student housing, medical office buildings and healthcare.
- developing master-planned residential communities.
- processing and protecting development entitlements, environmental impact reports and governmental approvals of projects.
- acquisition and development of various hospitality industry projects, including luxury hotels, flagship locations and portfolios of motels.
- permitting of projects affecting sensitive or endangered species and wetlands.
- innovative solutions to environmental mitigation.
- requirements involving hazardous materials.
- construction- and permanent-secured financings, workouts and foreclosures.
- documenting and processing commercial and residential condominiums and other planned-unit developments.
- joint ventures, partnerships, limited-liability companies, REITs and REMICs.
- residential and commercial redevelopment properties.
- affordable housing, bond financing and low-income housing tax-credit projects.
- public infrastructure bond financings (assessment district, Mello-Roos and redevelopment).
With a client base that includes major financial institutions and corporations, in addition to mid-sized and small businesses and government agencies, we effectively forge close relationships with our clients—earning our place as their trusted advisors.
MLA offers a full range of capabilities related to commercial, industrial, and residential real estate transactions, including representation in project lending, REIT financing, subordinated debt and construction loans; capital markets, including conduits, mezzanine, loan servicing, and assumptions; real estate development, including acquisitions and dispositions, construction, and subdivisions; loan workouts and creditors’ rights; retail, commercial, entertainment, and office leasing; economic development, including tax incentives; and land use and zoning.
MLA has particular strength in financial restructurings—consistently focusing on problem debt resolution for the past 30 years. We have represented clients through many capital markets cycles and understand their needs in responding to—and succeeding within—those cycles. Particularly valuable to our clients is our ability to draw from MLA’s industry-leading Government Contracts, Governmental Affairs and Private Equity practices—helping our clients confidently navigate the challenges and opportunities of both the distressed capital markets and governmental intervention.
- Tips from the PPP Playbook
- The Art of Listening
- Opportunity in uncertainty surrounding redevelopment agency properties
- Top Women Lawyers
- Loan Prices Climb in March
- Same thing, different year: Slow growth becomes routine