State and Local Government Affairs
The State and Local Government Affairs team at McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP (MLA) understands how the private sector can bring experience and other benefits to city, county and state governments. We have broad experience in navigating tax and bond issues, complex zoning and permitting, and formulating public-private partnerships to tackle challenging development projects. The development and implementation of successful public policy strategies at the state level often includes representation with issues such as:
- Campaign finance and election law
- Crisis management and media relations
- Economic development
- Energy policy
- Health care
- Legislative matters
- Political law and lobbying compliance
- State regulations
The successful management of public policy issues begins with our established presence in a number of offices where state and local laws are passed and implemented. Our California, Colorado, Georgia, and New York offices house some of the most savvy public policy strategists in the U.S. Our unique practice consists of attorneys and professionals who have previously served in positions within local and state level government. Through our management of local government affairs practitioners in the states, we craft advocacy solutions for our clients in state legislatures and local government agencies across the nation.
In addition to representing business interests in the states, we also work on behalf of a number of state and local governments. Municipalities and counties are continually looking at opportunities for economic development, such as developing retail centers, mixed-use developments, office complexes and entertainment venues, and redeveloping industrial and infill properties. We work with our clients and elected officials on developing sound policies that will enhance the communities in which we live and work.
- May 30, 2013
- May 24, 2013This week, we meet Ingrid Loyau-Kennett, the heroic British woman who confronted attackers while several others looked on in terror. We discover why this mother and cub scout leader bravely stepped up during the tragic street attack that left a British soldier dead. The NFL plans to play more regular season games in London in 2014 and Georgians may see a new British beer offered in bars and restaurants as Ilkley Brewery is sending a large shipment across the pond this week. UK's inbound tourism saw a boost in 2012 and shale gas could lead to a large economic increase for Great Britain.
- May 24, 2013
- HHS will integrate state regulatory activities in exchanges
- Zell Miller: Georgia Dome has proven its worth, but now it’s time for ... A New Dome
- Little-Noted Provision On Agents And Brokers Could Mean Big Changes For Exchanges
- Reed asserts himself as Georgia Democrats’ leader
- Health care bills tabled in Senate
- Atlanta mayor's political influence rapidly growing