White Collar Criminal Defense
The White Collar Criminal Defense Team consists of partners within the Firm's national Business Frauds and Investigations Practice who focus their practice on criminal defense. Each partner has extensive experience in criminal law, including grand jury investigations, post-indictment motions practice and jury trials. Collectively, the Criminal Defense Team has tried to verdict more than two-hundred criminal jury trials.
Members of the Criminal Defense Team have held prominent positions within the government, including:
- State Attorney General & President, National Association of Attorneys General
- United States Attorney for Maryland
- Assistant United States Attorneys in California, Maryland, Nevada and Washington, D.C.
- Chief of the Fraud Section in the Criminal Division, United States Department of Justice
The Criminal Defense Team's 2013 case load reflects the diversity of our criminal practice:
- FCPA: in separate matters, representing one corporation and four individuals including a former CEO.
- Government Contracts: criminal representation of two corporations and three individuals in separate matters pertaining to overcharges, kickbacks and false certifications.
- Health Care Medicare/Medicaid Fraud: defense of two separate medical device companies in investigations alleging off-label marketing and kickback allegations.
- Securities Fraud: representation of a target corporation and its CEO, both targets in a continuing DoJ investigation after 10(b)(5) indictment of alleged co-conspirators.
- Environmental Crimes: representation of two corporations in separate investigations being conducted by the DOJ's Environmental Crimes Section; one concerning the Clean Water Act and one concerning the Lacey Act.
- Bank Fraud: defense of Chairman and CEO of seized mid-western bank in SEC and DoJ investigations of alleged inflated financial statements.
- Antitrust: alleged criminal violations of the Sherman Act by a Japanese business executive accused of organizing a cartel.
Additional substantive experience and greater detail on past cases is available in the biographies of individual members of the White Collar Criminal Team.
Routinely, criminal prosecutions begin as or include civil fraud and other parallel proceedings. The Criminal Defense Team has extensive experience in the defense of Civil False Claims Act cases, SEC enforcement, Congressional investigations, suspension debarment (and HHS OIG exclusions), general corporate investigations, and administrative enforcement actions.
In these matters, our team frequently works with the Firm's International, Government Contracts, Health Care, Environmental and Corporate Departments.
- February 25, 2013
- Court Allows FCPA Case To Proceed on Jurisdictional Theory SEC Once Conceded “May Be Breaking New Ground”February 19, 2013
- November 1, 2012