Cindy Gillespie is a Senior Managing Director in McKenna Long & Aldridge’s Public Policy and Regulatory Affairs practice and leads the Health Care Policy team at MLA. Her primary focus is on health care and health insurance reform where she advises clients on long-term market opportunities and business strategies. As part of her practice, she assists clients in developing and implementing legislative, regulatory and political strategies to successfully weather the ever-changing federal and state health care policy landscapes.
Ms. Gillespie also leads the Health Insurance Exchange Team at MLA, a unique cross-practice group focused on the regulatory and implementation requirements of health insurance exchanges. This first-in the-nation team is working with clients and thought-leaders to prepare for the changes that will impact the health care industry, insurers, employers and businesses as health insurance exchanges are established post-federal health care reform.
Before joining the firm, Ms. Gillespie served as counselor to former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney. As a key advisor to the Governor, Ms. Gillespie played a leading role in the development of Massachusetts health insurance reform. She also served as senior advisor to the governor on policy and legislative matters, including transportation and homeland security policy.
Ms. Gillespie’s recent experience also includes serving as the senior federal relations official for the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympic Winter Games and the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games, as well as advising both the 2012 New York and 2016 Chicago Olympic Bid Committees.
- B.A., Trevecca Nazarene College
- M.A., Auburn University
* Non-attorney professional
- "Little-Noted Provision On Agents And Brokers Could Mean Big Changes For Exchanges," Health Affairs Blog, June 8, 2012.
- "PPACA’s affordability deﬁnition remains unclear," Managed Healthcare Executive, February 1, 2012
- "Medicaid and CHIP will overshadow Medicare," Managed Healthcare Executive, December 1, 2011, co-author Elizabeth Carpenter
- “Affordability” Is Heart of Health Law Reform Debate," BNA Health Insurance Report, November 30, 2011, co-authors Frank Micciche and Elizabeth Carpenter
- "State of the States: Health Insurance Exchange Legislation," Employee Benefit Plan Review, November 2011, co-author with Frank Micciche
- CO-OP plans need capital, intellectual investment, Managed Healthcare Executive, October 2011, co-author with Elizabeth Carpenter
- Private Exchanges: A Game Changer?, National Journal Healthcare Experts Blog, September 28, 2011
- Consider how exchange rules might ﬁt with your strategy, Managed Healthcare Executive, August 2011, co-author with Frank Micciche
- States must reduce churn from Medicaid, exchanges, Managed Healthcare Executive, April 2011
- States Must Work Quickly to Design Exchanges, Managed Healthcare Executive December 2010
- Health Insurance Exchange Functions Under PPACA, BNA Health Insurance Report, July 14, 2010
- Health Insurance Exchanges: Opportunities, Pitfalls and a Fork in the Road, Bloomberg Law Reports, June 3, 2010