Daniel W. Caprio, Jr.*
Dan Caprio brings over 25 years of experience on legal and policy issues involving the convergence of internet, telecommunications and technology. He has substantial knowledge and experience in the areas of privacy, cyber security, and the Internet of Things, a term used when everyday objects are connected to the Internet. Mr. Caprio works with clients to define and capitalize on public policy strategies in the United States and Europe.
From 2004 to 2006, Mr. Caprio served as Chief Privacy Officer and Deputy Assistant Secretary for Technology Policy at the U.S. Department of Commerce (DoC) where he advised the Secretary of Commerce and the White House on technology policy and privacy protection. While at the DoC, he oversaw activities related to the development and implementation of federal privacy laws, policies, and practices.
In 2010, Mr. Caprio was appointed as a transatlantic subject matter expert to advise the European Commission Expert Group on the Internet of Things. From 2007 through 2011, Mr. Caprio advised the Secretary of Homeland Security on Data Privacy matters.Prior to his tenure at the DoC, Mr. Caprio served as Chief of Staff to Commissioner Orson Swindle at the Federal Trade Commission. In 2002, he was appointed to represent the United States in revising the OECD guidelines on information systems and networks. Mr. Caprio holds an active security clearance for classified matters.
- B.A., James Madison University
* Non-attorney professional
- On The Internet of Things, Dan Caprio is quoted in the European publication 'Policy Tracker' on November 14, 2012 (see article by Catherine Viola, courtesy of Policy Tracker, updated November 30, 2012).
- "The Internet of Things or The Internet of Far Fewer Things," The Internet of Things Europe 2009, Brussels, May 2009.
Seminars and Presentations:
- "The most recent initiatives in the US and the EU on cybersecurity, their implications for businesses and how to protect your information from cross-border cyber attacks," MLA Webinar (April 16, 2013), Speaker, together with Orestis Omran and Nora Wouters. Co-hosted by TechAmerica Europe.
- "Unlocking the threats of cybercrime: How to protect your information from cross border cyberattacks," McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP Conference on Cybersecurity for the Belgian Corporate Counsel Association, presenter, together with Hendrik Bosseart, Orestis Omran and Nora Wouters, February 19, 2013.
- “Reconciling EU and US Approaches to Privacy,” 16th Annual Law Review Symposium on Antitrust Law: Privacy Regulation and Antitrust, January 17, 2013.
- "Data & Cyber Security," City & State’s #RealPolitech Forum, December 18, 2012.
- "Governance of the Internet of Things," 4th Annual Internet of Things Europe, November 12, 2012.
- "A US Perspective on Smart Cities, The Internet of Things (IoT)" , IoT Week 2012, June 19, 2012.
- "2012 Privacy Outlook," (Keynote Speaker), Caltech/MIT Enterprise Forum, January 14, 2012.
- "The Internet of Things," Roundtable on the Internet of Things, Center for Policy on Emerging Technology. Presented by Dan Caprio, July 28, 2011. Click here to view the presentation.
- "U.S. View on the Technological Convergence Between the Internet of Things and Cloud Computing." Presented by Dan Caprio, June 1, 2010, Brussels, Belgium. Click here to view the presentation.
- "The Internet of Things or The Internet of Far Fewer Things," The Internet of Things Europe 2009, Brussels, May 2009. Click here to view the speech.