Nicolas Croquet, PhD
Nicolas Croquet advises on the regulatory and enforcement aspects of the REACH Regulation, the EU climate change legislation (especially the Renewable Energy Directive, energy efficiency instruments, ETS Directive, CCS Directive), EU product regulatory law, EU trade law, international investment law, and European institutional law. He also has substantial expertise in the areas of free movement of goods, services and of persons.
Prior to joining MLA, Nicolas was a Teaching Assistant in International Environmental Law at the Columbia University School of Law, New York (2010).
Nicolas has also been a tutor in European Law at Oriel College, University of Oxford (2007-2009) and a lecturer in European Community Law at the Oriel Summer Law School, (August 2008). He was Associate Editor of the Oxford University Commonwealth Law Journal, and Research Assistant in public international law, human rights and comparative law.
Prior to that, Nicolas was Teaching Assistant in Private Law, at the Université Libre de Bruxelles (2001-2002 and 2005-2006).
- 2011: DPhil in Law, University of Oxford Honor: Wiener-Anspach Scholarship and Arts & Humanities Research Council Studentship
- May 2010: LL.M and Certificate in International and Comparative Law, Columbia University School of Law, New York, NY
- May 2006: Master of International Affairs, Columbia University, New York, NY (BAEF and Fulbright scholarships)
- October 2003: University of Oxford, Magister Juris in European and Comparative Law
- June 2002: Université Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels - Licence en Droit International, Magna Cum Laude - Honor: Graduated first out of 52 students
- June 2001: Université Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels - Licence en Droit, Magna Cum Laude
- Brussels Bar (Trainee List)
- Belgian Courts (with the exception of the Cour de Cassation)
- “The right to self-representation under the European Convention on Human Rights: what role for the limitation analysis?” 3 EHRLR (2012)
- MLA on Environment: Finance Monthly, June 2012.
- "EU's Emissions Trading Scheme - a self-sufficient regime to address climate change?', co-author, GreenOrbis, April 2012
- “Commission and Industry Discuss the Future of the EU's Dual-Use Export Control Regime - Industry Consultation Until 31 October 2011”
- “Regulatory treatment of renewable energy under EU law: towards a flexible model of European governance?”, Korea Legislation Research Institute, August 2011
- "The Swissair Judgement: A Mere Application of the Law of Contracts and the Law of Obligations to Insolvency Situations?" Insol World, August 2011.
- Contributor, Climate Change Insights Blog
- "The ICC and the Treatment of Fair Trial Standards: An approximation of the ECHR Juris prudence," Human Rights Law Review, 2011, Vol. 11/1, March 2011
- "The European Court of Human Rights’ Norm-creativeness and Norm-limiting Processes: Resolving a Normative Tension," Columbia Journal of European Law, Vol. 17/2, Spring 2011
- "International Criminal Courts and proportionality: towards legal uncertainty in the interpretation of human rights standards," International Bar Association, 2010.
- "Implied External Limitation upon the Right to Cross-Examine Prosecution Witnesses: The Tension between a Means Test and a Balancing Test in the Appraisal of Anonymity Requests," Vol 11/1 of the Melbourne Journal of International Law, May 2010.
- "Obstacles to Justice and Redress for Victims of Corporate Human Rights Abuses,'" co-author of the EU and DRC chapters part of the Comparative Submission, prepared by Oxford Pro Bono Publico (OPBP) for the UN Secretary-General’s Special Representative on Business and Human Rights, 2008.
- "The right of silence and the right not to self-incriminate under the European Convention on Human Rights: to which extent are they qualified?," Cambridge Student Law Review – CSLR, 2008.
Seminars and Presentations:
- ‘Introduction to EU Climate Change and Energy Law’, Academy of European Law (Trier, 1 July 2013).
- "The Import of International Customary Law into the EU Legal Order: The Adequacy of the Theory of Direct Effect" as part of the Cambridge University Centre for European Legal Studies Lunchtime Seminars (Cambridge, 28 November 2012).
- “EU Climate change: a difficult relation with proportionality,” the University of Oxford EU Law Discussion Group (Oxford, 17 October 2012)
- “The climate change regime under the EU-Korea Free Trade Agreement: a soft law framework ‘enclaved’ in a hard law instrument?” SNU and Leuven Center for Global Governance joint workshop on “EU-Korea Relations in a Changing World” (Seoul, 25 September 2012)
- “Governing non-EU Member States’ insolvency proceedings in EU legislation: what constitutional implications for the Union?”, INSOL Europe (Leipzig, 14 September, 2012)
- Co-Chair and Moderator: Climate Change and Renewable Energy, Energy Security Congress (Geneva, 5 April, 2012)
- Guest speaker: EU Emissions Trading Scheme: International dilemmas posed by a regional cap-and-trade system, Columbia Law School (New York, 12 April 2012)
- Sustainable Growth in the EU: Analysis of the Union’s methods of economic, political and environmental governance in light of the 2020 targets” at the Korea Legislation Research Institute’s and Paul Cézanne Aix-Marseille III University’s joint conference on “Challenges and Opportunities for the Future: European and Korean Perspectives on Sustainable Growth and Smart Regulation” (Paris, 30 November 2011)
- Presentation on the EU legal and policy framework for renewable energy at the Korea Legislation Research Institute’s International Expert Group Meeting: “Architecting Better Regulation to Overcome the Energy Crisis” (Seoul, 22 July 2011)