Kristin Hope Landis
Kristin Landis’s diverse practice focuses principally on complex business litigation. Ms. Landis has handled complex litigation in federal and state courts throughout the country, both at the trial and appellate levels. Her experience includes representing insurance companies in coverage and bad faith disputes, as well as providing counseling in these areas. Ms. Landis also has significant experience in handling commercial contract disputes for firm clients.
Ms. Landis is skilled at mastering legally and factually complex cases. Ms. Landis’s experience includes management of large litigation matters, and in particular, coordinating discovery in cases involving voluminous hard copy documents and electronic records. Her experience also includes development of litigation strategies, preparation of offensive and defensive discovery, conducting depositions, and motion practice.
Prior to joining McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP, Ms. Landis was a trial attorney at the Department of Justice where she routinely argued both dispositive and non-dispositive motions in various federal district courts.
Ms. Landis received her J.D. from the George Washington University Law School, where she was a member of the George Washington University Law Review. She earned her B.S. in Neurobiology and Physiology from the University of Maryland.
- Analysis and counseling for major insurer regarding potential risks and opportunities associated with global warming, including with respect to potential liability, new product development, and regulatory reporting.
- Successfully arguing on summary judgment that major insurer had no duty to defend purported additional insured in a significant wrongful death action, thereby negating any possibility for claimant to recover defense expenses or pursue bad faith claims.
- Representation of client in securities action resulting in favorable settlement for client.
- Representation of major insurer in coverage and bad faith action resulting in voluntary dismissal with prejudice by the plaintiff.
- Analysis and counseling for cigar industry regarding proposed federal and state regulations restricting the sale of various tobacco products.
- J.D., George Washington University Law School, with high honors, Order of the Coif, 2003
- B.S., University of Maryland, 2000
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- “On the Horizon: Could Insurers be Held Liable for Climate Change?” ABA TIPS Insurance Coverage Conference, co-authored with Joanne Zimolzak, (February 2010).