Jason N. Workmaster
Jason N. Workmaster focuses his practice on government contracts-related litigation, including civil False Claims Act (“FCA”) cases, contract disputes, and bid protests. He has represented a host of clients in these types of cases in U.S. District Court, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims (“COFC”), and the Government Accountability Office (“GAO”). Mr. Workmaster also is the DC office team leader for MLA’s Government Contracts department.
A nationally recognized expert on the FCA, Mr. Workmaster has appeared on NBC’s The TODAY Show and Canadian TV’s National News to discuss the Government’s involvement in an FCA case against the cyclist Lance Armstrong. Mr. Workmaster also is recognized as an expert on the General Services Administration (“GSA”) Schedules program and regularly lectures on the Schedules, as well as appearing on Federal News Radio to discuss issues related to the Schedules.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Workmaster was a law clerk to the Honorable Eric G. Bruggink of the COFC. He obtained his J.D.,summa cum laude, from the Regent University School of Law in 2000 and is a 1997 graduate, magna cum laude, of the University of Florida.
- Defending contractors in U.S. District Court in FCA cases involving issues relating to the GSA Schedules program and to wartime contracting in Iraq;
- Representing contractors before the COFC, the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals (“ASBCA”) and the Federal Aviation Administration’s Office of Dispute Resolution for Acquisition (“ODRA”) in complex contract disputes involving terminations for convenience, requests for equitable adjustment, wartime contracting, and cost allowability;
- Representing contractors in COFC, GAO, and state and local bid protests challenging agency award decisions, including agency consideration of organizational conflicts of interest (“OCIs”);
- Representing contractors in stay override cases before the COFC;
- Representing contractors in size protests before the Small Business Administration (“SBA”);
- Representing contractors in U.S. District Court and before the London Court of International Arbitration (“LCIA”) in commercial disputes relating to work for the Government;
- Conducting internal investigations regarding potential fraud allegations and contract compliance;
- Assisting contractors regarding the Government’s mandatory disclosure program;
- Assisting contractors with responding to Defense Contract Audit Agency (“DCAA”) and GSA audits;
- Preparing requests for equitable adjustment and certified claims;
- Conducting due diligence reviews relating to the acquisition of government contractors; and
- Drafting teaming agreements and subcontracts.
- J.D., Regent University School of Law, summa cum laude, 2000
- B.A., University of Florida, magna cum laude, 1997
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- "Fed. Circ. Metcalf Ruling — A Major Boost To Contractors," Law 360, (February 19, 2014); co-author.
- "Reports Of The Death Of The Duty To Cooperate and Not To Hinder Have Been Greatly Exaggerated" The Government Contractor, (August 28, 2013); co-author.
- "In False Claims Act Case Involving GSA Schedules Program, Federal District Court Issues Troubling Decision Regarding Public Disclosure Bar" The Coalition for Government Procurement: Legal Corner, (March 9, 2012); author.
- "D.C. Circuit Addresses FCA ‘Implied Certification' Theory in United States v. Science Applications Int'l Corp." BNA Federal Contracts Report, (December 16, 2010); co-author.
- "The Graham County Decision, Dead on Arrival?" Thomson West Government Contract, (June 28, 2010); co-author.
- "The GSA Schedules Program: To Be Or Not To Be (Commercial)?" The Procurement Lawyer, (January 2010).
- "Joint Ventures: Issues That Can Arise in Contracting," Andrews Litigation Reporter, Government Contracts, (October 5, 2009).
- “Terminations for the Unwary: A Loophole in the FAR,” Andrews Litigation Reporter, Government Contracts, (January 29, 2007).
- "Purchasing Power: For Government Contractors, It's Pretty Much Business as Usual," Legal Times, (February 2002).
Seminars and Presentations:
- Presenter, "Government contract law -- news and trends," Federal News Radio, February 18, 2014.
- Presenter, "False Claims Act Case Law Developments," Federal Publications Contract Compliance Week, October 23 - 24, 2013.
- Presenter, "Proposal Preparation and More," Federal News Radio, September 3, 2013.
- Presenter, "Commercial v. Noncommercial Items," Public Contracting Institute, July 30, 2013.
- Moderator, "Multiple Award Schedule Pricing Policy: Time for Change or Status Quo," The Coalition for Government Procurement, May 22, 2013.
- Presenter, "MAS Basic Training," The Coalition for Government Procurement, November 22, 2012.
- Presenter, "Legal Update: Recent Development in Case Law and Regulation," The Coalition for Government Procurement 2012 Spring Conference, April 27, 2012.
- Presenter, "GSA’s MAS Program and the False Claims Act: Pitfalls and Practical Advice," The Coalition for Government Procurement, April 18, 2012.
- Presenter, "Liability and contracting," Federal News Radio, April 10, 2012.
- Presenter, "MAS Basic Training," The Coalition for Government Procurement, February 3, 2012.
- Presenter, "Off the Shelf," Federal News Radio, January 31, 2012.
- Presenter, "Legal Update," Federal News Radio, November 8, 2011.
- Presenter, "Current MAS Pricing Practices, Policies and Audits: Compliance Risks and Rewards," The Coalition for Government Procurement Fall Conference, October 27 - 28, 2011.
- Presenter, "New Developments in Contract Compliance and Fraud Enforcement,"
Federal Publications Contract Compliance Week, October 26 - 27, 2011.
- Presenter, "Government contracting and the debt ceiling," Federal News Radio, July 26, 2011.
- Presenter, "How to Prepare MAS Audits and What They Mean in the Current Market," MAS Event, The Coalition for Government Procurement, July 13, 2011.
- Presenter, "How are contractors affected by the civil False Claims Act?" Federal News Radio, April 12, 2011.
- Presenter, "New Developments in Contract Compliance," Federal Publications Seminar, October 27, 2010.