Jason N. Workmaster
Jason N. Workmaster focuses his practice on government contracts-related litigation, including civil False Claims Act (“FCA”) cases, bid protests, and contract disputes. He has represented a host of clients in these types of cases in U.S. District Court, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, and the Government Accountability Office.
Mr. Workmaster has successfully defended a contractor in a jury trial in a qui tam FCA case alleging that the contractor had fraudulently obtained a number of GSA Schedule contracts. He also has represented other prospective or current GSA Schedule contractors with regard to their pricing disclosures and contract compliance. In the bid protest arena, Mr. Workmaster has successfully protested the award of a multi-million dollar contract to provide essentially all of the information technology services of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. He also has successfully represented a major defense contractor in defending against a protest that alleged that the contractor should have been disqualified from receiving the protested award because the contractor had an organizational conflict of interest. With regard to disputes between contractors and the federal government, Mr. Workmaster has extensive experience litigating such cases before the federal boards of contract appeals and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. These cases have involved complex termination and cost allowability issues. Mr. Workmaster also has experience litigating cases, brought in U.S. District Court, involving disputes between contractors under federal government contracts.
Outside of the litigation context, Mr. Workmaster has assisted clients with drafting teaming agreements and subcontracts and with conducting due diligence reviews and internal compliance investigations.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Workmaster was a law clerk to the Honorable Eric G. Bruggink, U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
In law school, he served as Managing Editor of the Regent University Law Review.
- J.D., Regent University School of Law, summa cum laude, 2000
- B.A., University of Florida, magna cum laude, 1997
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- "In False Claims Act Case Involving GSA Schedules Program, Federal District Court Issues Troubling Decision Regarding Public Disclosure Bar" The Coalition for Government Procurement: Legal Corner, (March 9, 2012); author.
- "D.C. Circuit Addresses FCA ‘Implied Certification' Theory in United States v. Science Applications Int'l Corp." BNA Federal Contracts Report, (December 16, 2010); co-author.
- "The Graham County Decision, Dead on Arrival?" Thomson West Government Contract, (June 28, 2010); co-author.
- "The GSA Schedules Program: To Be Or Not To Be (Commercial)?" The Procurement Lawyer, (January 2010).
- "Joint Ventures: Issues That Can Arise in Contracting," Andrews Litigation Reporter, Government Contracts, (October 5, 2009).
- “Terminations for the Unwary: A Loophole in the FAR,” Andrews Litigation Reporter, Government Contracts, (January 29, 2007).
- "Purchasing Power: For Government Contractors, It's Pretty Much Business as Usual," Legal Times, (February 2002).
Seminars and Presentations:
- Presenter, "MAS Basic Training," The Coalition for Government Procurement, November 22, 2012.
- Presenter, "Legal Update: Recent Development in Case Law and Regulation," The Coalition for Government Procurement 2012 Spring Conference, April 27, 2012.
- Presenter, "GSA’s MAS Program and the False Claims Act: Pitfalls and Practical Advice," The Coalition for Government Procurement, April 18, 2012.
- Presenter, "Liability and contracting," Federal News Radio, April 10, 2012.
- Presenter, "MAS Basic Training," The Coalition for Government Procurement, February 3, 2012.
- Presenter, "Off the Shelf," Federal News Radio, January 31, 2012.
- Presenter, "Legal Update," Federal News Radio, November 8, 2011.
- Presenter, "Current MAS Pricing Practices, Policies and Audits: Compliance Risks and Rewards," The Coalition for Government Procurement Fall Conference, October 27 - 28, 2011.
- Presenter, "New Developments in Contract Compliance and Fraud Enforcement,"
Federal Publications Contract Compliance Week, October 26 - 27, 2011.
- Presenter, "Government contracting and the debt ceiling," Federal News Radio, July 26, 2011.
- Presenter, "How to Prepare MAS Audits and What They Mean in the Current Market," MAS Event, The Coalition for Government Procurement, July 13, 2011.
- Presenter, "How are contractors affected by the civil False Claims Act?" Federal News Radio, April 12, 2011.
- Presenter, "New Developments in Contract Compliance," Federal Publications Seminar, October 27, 2010.