John M. Clerici
For over 13 years, John Clerici has helped large pharmaceutical and emerging biotechnology companies develop creative approaches to access non-dilutive capital to fund the development of biotechnology for emerging disease and engineered threats. Since 1999, he has assisted over three dozen entities in obtaining nearly $4 billion in funding for research, development and procurement of public health countermeasures to the Federal government.
Private equity and venture capital firms are increasingly aware of the fact that government policies and funding efforts established in the US and the EU directly influence the value of their investments. Investment firms turn to Mr. Clerici for assistance in identifying and analyzing global government procurement trends as well as assessing the risks associated with investing in companies that receive U.S. federal and state funding and government contracts. In addition, he counsels investment clients in forecasting government priorities and needs – as well as identifying federal and state funding available to the biodefense, pharmaceutical, vaccine, diagnostics and industrial biotechnology industries.
In 2005, Mr. Clerici played a substantial role in the drafting and passage of the Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness Act (PREP Act), landmark legislation that provides substantial liability protections for makers and distributors of pandemic, epidemic, and bioterrorism countermeasures. He testified as an expert in support of this legislation on four occasions before the United States Senate Appropriations Committee, HELP Committee, and Judiciary Committee.
In 2006, Mr. Clerici was instrumental in the passage of legislation creating the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), which builds upon and improves Project BioShield. His expertise in the area of public health preparedness has been recognized by leading news outlets such as the Wall Street Journal, Business Week, the Associated Press, the Boston Globe, and The Hill. He has also appeared live on the Fox News Channel as a bioterrorism expert.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Clerici was a judge advocate with the U.S. Air Force where, among other assignments, he advised the Air Force Research Laboratory on the procurement of technology from research institutions throughout the United States, Europe and Asia.
- J.D., University of North Carolina School of Law, 1995
- B.A., The Catholic University of America, summa cum laude, 1992
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- "Public Health Funding Opportunities From the U.S." MedNous, January 2009 (Co-authored with Jennifer Hannesschlager).
- "Meeting The Challenge Of Avian Flu: A Blueprint For Global Pandemics?" Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, July 2006 (Co-authored with Jennifer Hannesschlager)
- “From BioShield to the PREP Act and Beyond: Developing a Market for Infectious Disease and Bioterror Countermeasures,” Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, March 2006 (Co-authored with Dana Perkins)
- "Congress Enacts Substantial Liability Protections for Public Health Emergencies," Washington Legal Foundation Legal Opinion Letter, February 10, 2006 (Co-authored with Doug Farry and Frank Rapoport)
Seminars and Presentations:
- Mr. Clerici served as a featured speaker at the following conferences:
- BIO 2009 - May 18 - 21, 2009 (Atlanta, GA)
- NDIA Environment, Energy & Sustainability Symposium - May 4 - 7, 2009 (Denver, CO)
- Phacilitate Vaccine Forum - January 26 - 29, 2009 (Washington, DC)
- Genesis 2008 - December 8 - 10, 2008 (London, England)
- AusBiotech 2008- October 26 - 28, 2008 (Melbourne, Australia)
- Funding and Collaboration Opportunities in Biotechnology - September 16, 2008 (London, England)
- Pacific Rim Summit on Industrial Biotechnology - September 9 - 10, 2008 (Vancouver, British Columbia)
- 6th Annual Biodefense Vaccines & Therapeutics Conference - June 9 - 11, 2008 (Washington, DC)
- World Vaccine Congress 2008 - April 14 - 16, 2008 (Washington, DC)
- AusBiotech 2007 - October 21 - 24, 2007 (Melbourne, Australia)
- 5th Annual Biodefense Vaccines & Therapeutics Policy, Funding & Development - June 4 -6, 2007 (Washington, DC)
- Phacilitate Vaccine Forum - May 28 -30, 2007 (Munich, Germany)
- National Association of County and City Health Officials Public Health Preparedness Summit - February 16, 2007 (Washington, DC)
- Phacilitate Vaccine Forum - January 22 - 24, 2007 (Baltimore, MD)
- Webinar: The Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Act - January 16, 2007 (Washington, DC)