John M. Clerici
John M. Clerici's practice centers on working with new entrants to the government marketplace and assisting existing government contractors to develop effective government affairs strategies for selling goods and services to the federal, state and local governments, particularly in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and public-private partnership arena. These strategies involve all aspects of government affairs, including providing targeted legislative and regulatory solutions, public relations strategies, legal advice regarding appropriate contract vehicles and corporate structures to maximize business opportunities. Over the last five years, Mr. Clerici has assisted clients with strategic positioning and through his counsel has contributed to clients securing more than $2 billion in funding. In addition, Mr. Clerici is a recognized authority on the topic of liability reform policy.
Mr. Clerici has represented a number of large pharmaceutical and biotechnology clients to impact significantly the legislation implementing Project BioShield, the U.S. Government’s initiative to promote and fund the development of biomedical countermeasures. He has negotiated the numerous contracts for clients selling stockpiles of countermeasures to the federal government, including the majority of the awards made under Project Bioshield. In 2005, Mr. Clerici played a substantial role in the drafting and passage of the Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness Act (PREP Act), landmark legislation that provides substantial liability protections for makers and distributors of pandemic, epidemic, and bio-terrorism countermeasures. He testified as an expert in support of this legislation on four occasions before the U.S. Senate Appropriations Committee, the HELP Committee, and the Judiciary Committee. In 2006, Mr. Clerici was instrumental in the passage of legislation creating the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Agency (BARDA), which builds upon and improves Project BioShield. His experience in the area of biodefense has been recognized by leading news outlets such as the Wall Street Journal, Business Week, the Associated Press, the Boston Globe, and The Hill. He has also appeared live on the Fox News Channel as an authority on bioterrorism.
Mr. Clerici has extensive experience advising clients engaged in public-private partnerships with the federal government, including representing one of the largest and most successful military housing privatization contractors in the nation.
He's played a significant role in developing the legislative strategy and drafting key provisions of the SAFETY Act, a major component of the Homeland Security Act of 2002. Mr. Clerici has testified on behalf of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce before the U.S. House of Representatives on the SAFETY Act's implementation and has represented a number of entities that have successfully received SAFETY Act certification. His political involvement spans more than a decade, having worked on campaigns for the U.S. Senate, House of Representatives, and State offices. In 2001, Mr. Clerici was a candidate for the Virginia House of Delegates.
Prior to joining the firm, he was a judge advocate with the U.S. Air Force where, among other assignments, he advised the Air Force Research Laboratory on the procurement of technology from research institutions throughout the U.S., Europe and Asia. Mr. Clerici has appeared as a military law analyst for the Fox News Channel and MSNBC before national audiences.
- J.D., University of North Carolina School of Law, 1995
- B.A., The Catholic University of America, summa cum laude, 1992
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- "Public Health Funding Opportunities From the U.S." MedNous, January 2009 (Co-authored with Jennifer Hannesschlager).
- "Meeting The Challenge Of Avian Flu: A Blueprint For Global Pandemics?" Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, July 2006 (Co-authored with Jennifer Hannesschlager)
- “From BioShield to the PREP Act and Beyond: Developing a Market for Infectious Disease and Bioterror Countermeasures,” Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, March 2006 (Co-authored with Dana Perkins)
- "Congress Enacts Substantial Liability Protections for Public Health Emergencies," Washington Legal Foundation Legal Opinion Letter, February 10, 2006 (Co-authored with Doug Farry and Frank Rapoport)
Seminars and Presentations:
- Mr. Clerici served as a featured speaker at the following conferences:
- BIO 2009 - May 18 - 21, 2009 (Atlanta, GA)
- NDIA Environment, Energy & Sustainability Symposium - May 4 - 7, 2009 (Denver, CO)
- Phacilitate Vaccine Forum - January 26 - 29, 2009 (Washington, DC)
- Genesis 2008 - December 8 - 10, 2008 (London, England)
- AusBiotech 2008- October 26 - 28, 2008 (Melbourne, Australia)
- Funding and Collaboration Opportunities in Biotechnology - September 16, 2008 (London, England)
- Pacific Rim Summit on Industrial Biotechnology - September 9 - 10, 2008 (Vancouver, British Columbia)
- 6th Annual Biodefense Vaccines & Therapeutics Conference - June 9 - 11, 2008 (Washington, DC)
- World Vaccine Congress 2008 - April 14 - 16, 2008 (Washington, DC)
- AusBioTech 2007 - October 21 - 24, 2007 (Melbourne, Australia)
- 5th Annual Biodefense Vaccines & Therapeutics Policy, Funding & Development - June 4 -6, 2007 (Washington, DC)
- Phacilitate Vaccine Forum - May 28 -30, 2007 (Munich, Germany)
- National Association of County and City Health Officials Public Health Preparedness Summit - February 16, 2007 (Washington, DC)
- Phacilitate Vaccine Forum - January 22 - 24, 2007 (Baltimore, MD)
- Webinar: The Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Act - January 16, 2007 (Washington, DC)