Kurt L. Kicklighter
Kurt Kicklighter represents financial services, aerospace and defense, non-profit and other organizations in mission-critical decision-making and strategy execution. He serves FDIC-insured institutions and their affiliates, as well as other public, private and family-held businesses. Mr. Kicklighter is frequently called upon to represent boards of directors and board committees in sensitive matters involving corporate governance and federal regulatory issues.
As California Executive Partner of the firm, Mr. Kicklighter is responsible for overseeing the firm's execution of its California strategic initiatives, including one intended to enhance the firm’s services to government contractors in California.
Mr. Kicklighter speaks and writes on financial institution board of directors and management issues.
Martindale-Hubbell® AV Rating
The Best Lawyers in America® - First Year Listed: 2007 - Most Recent Listing: 2014 (Banking and Finance Law, Financial Services Regulation Law)
San Diego Best Lawyers® Banking Lawyer of the Year: 2009
The Daily Transcript: San Diego County Top Attorneys - Most Recent Listing: 2007 (Corporate Transactional)
Super Lawyers: Business Edition - 2011 - Banking
San Diego Super Lawyers - Corporate Counsel - Most Recent Listing: 2009 (Business / Corporate)
San Diego Super Lawyers - Most Recent Listing: 2013 (Banking)
The American Lawyer & Corporate Counsel: 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Banking & Finance Law; AV Preeminent® peer review rating
- Currently representing two different bank acquisition groups.
- Merger of San Diego Trust Bank with Pacific Premier Bank.
- Represented a special committee of a board in an investigation of a senior officer.
- Restructured family limited partnerships that own multiple income-producing properties.
- Structured the affiliation of a bank with a financial services technology provider.
- Part of a team that negotiated the affiliation of a tax-exempt higher education organization with another such organization.
- Merger of San Diego Private Bank with Coronado First Bank.
- Advised a tax exempt organization on securities issues related to its large position in a public company.
- Negotiated a mezzanine loan to and proposed acquisition of a solar panel manufacturer.
- Merger of Security Business Bank with AmericanWest Bank.
- Represented senior executive of a bank in negotiating his departure in connection with the sale of the bank.
- Negotiated merger of Luce Forward Hamilton & Scripps LLP with McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP, as managing partner of Luce Forward.
- Merger of Desert Commercial Bank with First Foundation Bank.
- Negotiated the buy-out by one family member of another in a government contracting business.
- Advised the owner of an international agricultural company on structuring its sale.
- Merger of Embarcadero Bank with Coronado First Bank.
- Acquisition of Gold County Bank by Golden Pacific Bancorp.
- Negotiated the sale of a family-held aerospace manufacturing company.
- Negotiated the sale of a privately-held international pet supply business.
- Formation of several bank holding companies and related regulatory matters.
- Private and public capital raises, successful TARP, SBLF and New Markets Tax Credit capital applications, for banks and bank holding companies.
- The first Community Development Initial Public Offering, sponsored by the Jacobs Center for Neighborhood Innovation for Market Creek Partners, LLC.
- Formation and Initial Public Offerings of Mission Oaks National Bank, Landmark National Bank, Seacoast Commerce Bank, California Community Bank, San Diego Trust Bank and Coronado First Bank.
- PIPE and related resale registration statements of a public pharmaceutical company.
- Negotiated the sale of a privately-held environmental engineering and services business.
- Going private transaction of Borrego Springs Bank.
- Purchase of Sellers Petroleum, a regional petroleum distribution company.
- Structure management buy-in to nationwide insurance field marketing organization.
- Sale of Chemicon International, Inc. to Serologicals, Inc.
- Sale of John Burnham Insurance Co. to Union Bank of California.
- Structuring of multiple family business enterprises to further estate planning and succession objectives and buy-outs of family members.
- Structuring of public company executive compensation arrangements.
- Part of team representing Graham Webb International in its sale to Wella.
- Part of team that negotiated the investment by Zions Bancorp in Roth Capital.
- Sale of Bank of Commerce to US Bank.
- Sale of ENB Holding Company to FP Bancorp.
- Acquisition by Bank of Commerce of Rancho Vista National Bank.
- Hostile proxy contest of Bank of Commerce with respect to Fallbrook National Bank.
- LL.M., University of San Diego, 1996
- J.D., Columbia University Law School, Editor-in-Chief - Columbia Journal of Environmental Law, 1981
- B.A., UC Berkeley, Phi Beta Kappa, 1978
- "Who is Your Borrower in a Virtual World?" Bank Systems and Technology, co-author, March 8, 2013.
- "When the Chair is the CEO," Western Independent Banker, March/April 2013.
- “U.S. Department of the Treasury TARP Capital Purchase Program” - October 17, 2008.
- “Immediate Action Should Be Taken to Amend Your Corporation” - January 13, 2005.
- Co-Author: “Public Participation in State NPDES Enforcement” - Columbia Journal of Environmental Law, Vol. VI No. 2.
Seminars and Presentations:
- Panelist, "Community Banks: Recapitalization Options and 363 Sales," Eighth Annual Buying Trouble Conference, Atlanta, October 22, 2013.
- Panelist, "State of the Banking Industry," Access to Real Estate Capital Lender Conference, San Diego, August 1, 2013.
- Panelist, "Southern California Bank Mergers and Acquisitions Environment," FIG CEO Forum, San Francisco, February 7, 2013.
- Participant, Mock Board Session: "Practical Solutions for What's Changed: What You Don't Know Can Hurt You," Western Independent Bankers Annual Directors Conference - San Francisco, October 7, 2010.
- Panelist, "Caught in a Bad Finance: Advanced Loan Workout Strategies and Practices," Orange County (April 13, 2010), San Diego (April 15, 2010).
- "Thinking Outside the Box," Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) Value Challenge Seminar, June 23, 2009.
- "Key Issues Facing Boards of Directors: SEC Disclosure & Enforcement," Directors Roundtable/Connect, January 29, 2008.
- "What Makes Us Different: Clients First at Luce Forward," San Diego Business Forum, January 10, 2008.
- "Drafting LLC and LLP Agreements," National Business Institute (continuing education for lawyers), December 7, 2007.