Leah Morgan Singleton
Leah Morgan Singleton’s practice focuses on employee benefits and executive compensation. She counsels clients on ERISA, tax, labor, and fiduciary law as it relates to defined benefit plans, defined contribution plans, executive compensation, health and welfare plans, stock option plans and other types of employment compensation. She frequently advises clients with respect to compliance with Section 409A of the Internal Revenue Code for deferred compensation, including stock option plans, performance pay, employment agreements, change in control agreements and severance plans.
Atlanta Magazine recognized Leah Singleton on their 2011 and 2012 lists of Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Stars for Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation.
In addition, she works regularly with tax-exempt organizations to provide retirement and compensation to employees through plans under Sections 403(b) and 457 of the Internal Revenue Code. She also counsels clients on health care regulatory issues, including HIPAA.
- Padron v. Padron, 281 Ga. 646, 641 S.E.2d 542 (2007)
- J.D., Mercer University, cum laude 2002 (Brainard Currie Honor Society)
- B.S., State University of West Georgia, 1997 (Ingram Scholar of Mathematics)
- A.A., Gordon College, summa cum laude, 1995
- "Cost-Savings and Risk-Reducing Ideas for Severance Programs," Bloomberg Law Reports, July 30, 2010.
- “Update on the Federal COBRA Subsidy: Traps for the Unwary and a Possible Savings Opportunity,” Bloomberg Law Reports, March 29, 2010.
- "Offering Company Stock as an Investment Option in Retirement Plans," Employee Benefit Plan Review, June 2009 (co-authored with Ann Murray).
- "Could Your Officers or Board Face Personal Liability for Your 401(k) Plan Investment Losses?," Journal of Compensation and Benefits, May/June 2009 (co-authored with Ann Murray).
- "Health Savings Account Update," Employee Benefit Plan Review, October 2008 (co-authored with Ann Murray).
- "Employer-sponsored Personal Health Records," Thompson's Human Resources 2009: Answers to the Top HR Questions in 2009 , October 2008 (co-authored with Ann Murray).
- "Mental Health Parity: New Requirements Under Federal Law," Thompson's Human Resources 2009: Answers to the Top HR Questions in 2009 , October 2008 (co-authored with Ann Murray).
Seminars and Presentations:
- “Overview of Health Plans,” Benefits Bootcamp, Worldwide Employee Benefits (Atlanta), April 2011.
- “Health Care Reform 2011 and Beyond,” Georgia Department of Labor, March 2011.
- “Health Care Reform: What Does It Mean to Employers and Plan Sponsors,” MLA Webcast, June 2010; January 2011.
- “Health Care Reform 2010 and Beyond,” Lamar County Chamber of Commerce, August 2010.
- “Health Care Reform 2010 and Beyond,” Pike County Chamber of Commerce, July 2010.
- “Section 409A Compliance: Common Problems and Solutions,” MLA Webcast, June 2010.
- “Discharge: Employee Benefits Requirements for Terminations and Layoffs,” Boot Camp for the HR Professional, May 2010.
- “Fiduciary Duties and Responsibilities,” Benefits Bootcamp, Worldwide Employee Benefits (Atlanta), April 2010.
- “How to Comply with New COBRA, GINA, HIPAA, Mental Health Parity, & Michelle’s Law,” MLA Webcast, January 2010.
- “Group Health Plans: Are You Ready for 2010 Deadlines?” MLA Webcast, December 2009.
- "HIPAA Training," June 2009.
- "COBRA Subsidy and CHIPRA Update," March 2009.
- "Georgia Legal Aid and Atlanta Legal Aid 2004 Annual CLE Conference on QDROs."