Mark E. McKinnon
Mark McKinnon clerked for the Honorable Richard Suhrheinrich on both the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan and the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, giving him valuable insights into all aspects of the operations of the federal courts. Mr. McKinnon has extensive appellate and litigation experience in a wide range of areas including foreign and domestic mass disasters, multidistrict litigation, federal aviation regulatory and enforcement actions, insurance coverage, complex commercial litigation involving intellectual property and unfair trade practices, the Federal Tort Claims Act, and government contractor actions.
Mr. McKinnon has also litigated and advised clients on numerous aspects of international air transportation, including the application of the Warsaw Convention, Hague Convention, Montreal Protocols, Montreal Convention, and International Civil Aviation Organization’s International Standards and Recommended Practices.
Mr. McKinnon has represented clients in cases pending before the Second, Third, Fourth, Sixth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh and the District of Columbia Circuits, the United States Supreme Court, the District of Columbia Court of Appeals, the Florida Court of Appeals, Ohio Court of Appeals, Ohio Supreme Court, and Mississippi Supreme Court. Mr. McKinnon has also represented clients in a number of international arbitrations, including proceedings in Malaysia, Singapore, and South Africa.
- In re Air Crash Disaster off Point Mugu, California: Mr. McKinnon worked on all aspects of the litigation arising from the crash of Alaska Airlines Flight 261, including proceedings before the National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration. The occurrence of the accident in waters outside state territorial limits, and also outside the scope of the Death on the High Seas Act required application of maritime law to complex aviation accident issues.
- Crane Co v. Kitzinger: Appeal to the Mississippi Supreme Court of a liability and seven figure punitive damage award for an accident involving a maritime elevator on an offshore oil platform. The Court reversed and remanded for a new trial on all issues.
- 9/11 Litigation: Mr. McKinnon worked on numerous aspects of the litigation arising from the tragic events of September 11, 2001, including representation of several airports involved in the litigation and coverage issues involving several security firms.
- J.D., Catholic University of America, 1989
- B.A. University of Chicago, 1986
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan