Marques O. Peterson
Marques Peterson focuses his practice on government contracts, claims and investigations, and litigation with an emphasis on international law. Mr. Peterson represents large and small businesses on all aspects of federal procurement law including contract formation issues, post-award contract disputes and claims, ethics and compliance, expeditionary issues, and export control regulations.
Additionally, he serves as a contributing writer for various publications on such issues as trade barriers, emerging markets, global procurement, the Buy American Act, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the Trade Agreements Act and the World Trade Organization.
Prior to joining McKenna Long & Aldridge, Mr. Peterson spent four years on active duty in the Air Force at the Pentagon working in the Office of the Air Force General Counsel. There he spent two years with the Acquisition Law Division and two years with the Fiscal & Administrative Law Division. During his time with the Acquisition Law Division he advised senior leadership on the numerous legal aspects of the federal acquisition process, including contract formation and administration, bid protest, small business issues, organizational conflicts of interest, and foreign investments in U.S. defense companies. While in the Fiscal & Administrative Law Division, he counseled leadership on legal matters related to the execution of the Air Force’s $105 billion budget and advised senior personnel on post-government employment restrictions as a designated Air Force Ethics Official.
While in law school, Mr. Peterson was a law clerk with the U.S. Department of State, American Foreign Service Association, and the U.S. Air Force Judge Advocate General. He holds a Top Secret Security Clearance.
Mr. Peterson has been recognized as a 2014 “Rising Star” by Washington, DC Super Lawyers.
- LL.M, The George Washington University Law School, (thesis pending)
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School
- B.A., University of Kansas
- District of Columbia
- New York
- "Intelligence Leak Places Spotlight On Classified Programs," Law360 (June 11, 2013).
- "International Trade & Public Procurement 2012 Update," 2012 West Government Contracts Year in Review Conference Briefs, Co-Author Allen B. Green and Morgan Lucas.
- "Converging Procurement Systems - Part II: 2011 Update," 2011 West Government Contracts Year in Review Conference Briefs, Co-Author Allen B. Green.
- "FEATURE COMMENT: Fifth Circuit Decision Narrowly Construes The Government Contractor Defense," The Government Contractor (October 6, 2010).
- "Converging Procurement Systems - Part II: Government Procurement Becomes A Vital Tool to Stimulate Global Economic Recovery," 2010 West Government Contracts Year in Review Conference Briefs, Co-Author Allen B. Green.
- "Continuing Trends of Transparency and Competition in the Procurement Systems of the World's Largest Economies," 2009 West Government Contracts Year in Review Conference Briefs, Co-Author Allen B. Green.
Seminars and Presentations:
- Panelist, "International Public Procurement: Collaborating Across Borders," (National Contract Management Association World Congress) July 22, 2013.
- Instructor, “Foreign Military Sales,” The Masters Academy - Best Practices in International Contracting (Public Contracting Institute) August 22, 2013.
- Presenter, "Export Controls," International Government Contracting (Thomson-Reuters Federal Publications Seminars) October 26, 2012.
- Presenter, “Government Contract Law Symposium,” (The Army JAG School) Charlottesville, VA, 2007.