Monica L. Irel
Monica Irel is the attorney leading the Miami office of McKenna Long & Aldridge. Ms. Irel specializes in litigation, focusing on aviation, personal injury, transportation and commercial matters.
After completing her undergraduate degree at UCLA, Ms. Irel obtained her J.D. from the USC School of Law in Los Angeles, California in 1988. She then began the practice of law as a plaintiffs’ attorney, concentrating on personal injury and workers’ compensation cases with the Los Angeles firm of Stoll & Nussbaum, where she immediately acquired considerable courtroom experience as a young attorney. Having also acquired a taste for litigation, Ms. Irel moved on to defense work with the well-known Los Angeles firms of Bottom & Feliton and O’Flaherty & Belgum.
In 1997 Ms. Irel moved her practice to Miami, Florida and shortly thereafter commenced work with Dombroff Gilmore Jaques & French, P.C. While managing the Miami office for the firm, Ms. Irel has been involved in the defense of numerous entities in the aviation industry including the BBA Aviation companies (Signature Flight Support and ASIG), Piedmont Hawthorne Aviation/Landmark Aviation, Servisair/GlobeGround, Presidential Airways, Inc., Robinson Aviation (RVA), Inc., Spirit Airlines, and Piper Aircraft, Inc. Ms. Irel has also represented the SIRVA companies (Allied Van Lines and North American Van Lines) in property damage and trademark protection cases. As a pro bono attorney she has been active in Florida’s guardian ad litem program.
Born in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Ms. Irel is fluent in Spanish.
- McMahon v. Presidential Airways, Inc.
- Perdue v. Landmark Aviation
- Mourino v. Learjet
- HTC Leleu Family Trust v. Piper Aircraft
- Martin v. Central Transport
- Supreme Court of Florida
- Supreme Court of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Seminars and Presentations:
- Presenter: "Taking a Strategic Deposition"