Phillip R. Seckman
Phillip Seckman represents clients concerning government and commercial contract matters. Mr. Seckman’s practice spans a broad range of subjects related to federal procurement law, state and local procurement law, and complex federal regulatory issues. He concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial item acquisitions, GSA schedule contracting, compliance and internal investigations, and bid protests (both federal and state). A significant component of his practice has involved government contract cost allowability, proper cost accounting, and cost and pricing issues.
Lead counsel in five bid protest matters in 2013.
Lead counsel in the development, pursuit and negotiation of multi-million dollar construction contract equitable adjustment.
Successfully obtained agency corrective action relating to a Task Order award issued under a GSA schedule contract blanket purchase agreement.
ATK Thiokol v. United States, 598 F.3d 1329 (Fed. Cir. 2010) (co-authored the appellate briefs that aided victory in the landmark case regarding IR&D costs).American Ordnance, LLC, ASBCA No. 54718 (Feb. 17, 2010) (finding entitlement to breach of contract for defective specifications relating to the melt pour of 155MM M107 Howitzer Shells).
- J.D., University of Denver College of Law, 2004 (Order of St. Ives)
- B.A., University of Colorado, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- "Let’s Just Pretend the FAR Change Didn’t Happen," The Coalition for Government Procurement (April 2013).
- "APA now the main control over new PPACA rules," co-authored by Phillip R. Seckman and Amy M. Siadak, Managed Healthcare Executive (August 2012).
- "DCAA’s Business Systems Audit Guidance: Clarity. . . and Reason for Concern," co-authored by Phillip R. Seckman and Tyson J. Bareis, Bloomberg BNA Federal Contracts Report (July 31, 2012).
- "DCAA Malpractice: Recovery of Damages," co-authored by Thomas A. Lemmer, Phillip R. Seckman, and Joseph G. Martinez, Bloomberg BNA Federal Contracts Report (May 15, 2012).
- “It’s Getting Complicated – The MAS Program’s “Simplified” Acquisition Process,” The Coalition for Government Procurement (April 2012).
- "A Significant Expansion of Public Access - Executive Compensation Disclosure Rule Is Finalized," Coalition for Government Procurement (March 2012).
- "Maximizing Contractor Recovery of IR&D Costs: Federal Circuit Affirms ATK Thiokol," Procurement Lawyer, (Summer 2010); co-author.
- "Federal Circuit Provides Needed Clarity On Proper Classification of IR&D Costs," Federal Contracts Report (April 6, 2010); co-author.
- "Issues with Bids, Proposals, and Awards," Colorado Procurement Handbook Chapter (2009).
Seminars and Presentations:
- Presenter, Affordable Care Act: What Government Contractors Need to Focus on Now,” National Contract Management Association (February 2014)
- Presenter, “Cybersecurity Developments – What Contractors Need to Know,” Public Contracting Institute (February 2014)
- Presenter, “Legislative & Regulatory Update” Federal Publications Western Briefing Conference (December 2013)
- Presenter, “Subcontract Flowdown: Best Practices From Both the Prime and Subcontractor Perspective” National Contract Management Association World Congress (July 2013)
- Presenter, “Allowability of Subcontract/Consultant Costs and Challenges Presented For Procurement System Management” National Contract Management Association World Congress (July 2013)
- Presenter, "Commercial v. Noncommercial Items" Public Contracting Institute (July 2013)
- Presenter, “GSA MAS Contracting & Commercial Item Issues” National Contract Management Association Denver Chapter (March 2013)
- Presenter, "Subcontracting and Purchasing Systems" Colorado Bar Association (June 2012)
- Presenter, "New DCAA Audit Guidance" American Bar Association (June 2012)
- Presenter, "OCIs and TINA" National Contract Management Association Denver Chapter (March 2012)
- Presenter, "The Civil False Claims Act & Mandatory Disclosure: an Evolving Compliance Environment" National Contract Management Association - Fall Seminar (November 2010)
- Presenter, "Changes to the FAR: New Mandatory Reporting Rule," National Contract Management Association-Denver Chapter (April 2009)
- Presenter, "Issues with Bids, Proposals, and Awards," Federal Publications Seminars (June 2008)