Samuel S. Choy
Sam Choy’s practice focuses on counseling employers on virtually every aspect of benefits plans, including design, operation and compliance of qualified and nonqualified retirement plans, employer-sponsored life, health and other welfare benefit plans, severance programs, and equity compensation plans. He also counsels employers on employee benefits considerations in corporate mergers, acquisitions, and other transactions. His clients include public and private companies, tax-exempt entities, insurers and administrators.
Additionally, he handles executive compensation arrangements, assisting both companies and individuals in the drafting and negotiation of executive compensation, change-in-control, retention and severance agreements, annual and long-term incentives, and other fringe benefits.
- LL.M. in Taxation, Emory University School of Law
- J.D., Temple University School of Law
- B.A., Emory University
- Florida (inactive)
- Virginia (inactive)
Seminars and Presentations:
- "New HIPPA/HiTech Act Regulations - What Plan Sponsors Need to Do to Comply," ABA Joint Committee on Employee Benefits, March 2013.
- "Legislative Update: Review of 2012, Looking Ahead to 2013," Worldwide Employee Benefits Meeting, November 2012.
- "ERISA Basics, Pitfalls and Trends," Worldwide Employee Benefits Network Bootcamp, April 2012.
- "Domestic Medical Tourism Gaining Traction," ABA Health eSource, July 2011 Volume 7 No. 11.
- "Reducing 401(k) Costs, Risks and Headaches," Babush, Neiman, Kornman, & Johnson LLP and Portfolio Evaluations, Inc. Seminar, May 2011.
- "The Great Equalizer: Using Social Media to Level the Playing Field," Minority Corporate Counsel Association's 11th Annual Creating Pathways to Diversity Conference, November 2010.
- "Healthcare Reform," Gallagher Benefits Services, Inc. Seminar, August 2010.
- “Panel Discussion — Diversity in a Down Economy,” Georgia Asian Pacific American Bar Association (GAPABA), July 2010.
- "403(b)-ware: A Panel Discussion of the New Rules (and Risks) for 403(b) Plans," American Society of Pension Professionals & Actuaries (ASPPA) Benefits Council of Atlanta Workshop, June 2010.
- "Health Care Reform: The Most Pressing Issues for Employers!," American Bar Association Joint Committee on Employee Benefits National Teleconference and CLE, May 2010.
- "Cost Control Trends for Health Plans," Boot Camp for the HR Professional: 2010 Employment and Labor Workshop, May 2010.
- "Spotlight on 401(k) Fiduciaries: Are you Ready?," Goldman Sachs, Wells Fargo and ADP Retirement Plan Services Seminar, November 2009.