Steven K. Bender
Steve Bender's practice includes all aspects of complex commercial real estate transactions, including acquisition, development, financing, leasing, and disposition of heavy industrial, commercial, and office properties. For the last twenty years, Steve Bender has focused his practice on the acquisition, development, financing and operation of energy projects, including electric power plant projects throughout the United States. As part of that work, a significant segment of his practice includes the acquisition and development of electric transmission, natural gas and water line right-of-ways for supplying and interconnecting projects. He has been recognized as a Georgia Super Lawyer in Atlanta magazine six times.
Commercial and Office Transactions:
- Acquisition and financing of 22 Story Assisted Living Facility located in Buckhead area of Atlanta, Georgia.
- Lease of 225,000 square feet of office space for Home Depot U.S.A., Inc.
- Acquisition and financing of Southern Company Center Office Tower in downtown Atlanta, Georgia.
- Sale of 34-acre headquarters campus by Atlanta Gas Light Company, a public utility.
- Acquisition, financing and redevelopment of 260 Peachtree Street Office Tower in downtown Atlanta, Georgia.
- Acquisition and leasing of Five Points Office Tower in downtown Atlanta, Georgia.
- Represented United Parcel Service in connection with the real estate aspects of the relocation of their world headquarters from Greenwich, Connecticut, to Atlanta, Georgia.
- Imperial Solar Energy Center South - 946-acre photovoltaic solar project under construction in Imperial County, California, including the development of a Generation Tie-Line Path Change Option for the project.
- Imperial Solar Energy Center West – 1,100-acre photovoltaic solar project located in Imperial County, California.
- Long Island, New York Project - Assemble over 1,000 acres of land for the development of a solar generation project.
- Silverleaf Solar Energy Center - 1,100-acre 160-megawatt photovoltaic solar project under development in Southern California.
- Wistaria Ranch Solar, LLC - 3,000 + acre photovoltaic solar project under development in Imperial County, California.
- Fresh & Easy Roof Top Solar – Representation of Tesco PLC’s U.S. affiliate, Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Markets, LLC, in connection with the acquisition and development of their 850,000 square foot Riverside, California distribution facility, with 500,000 square feet of roof top solar generation.
- Currently working on additional utility scale photovoltaic solar projects that have not yet been publicly announced.
- Taylorville Energy Center - 716-megawatt (gross), 602-MW (net) coal-fed power plant using an advanced technology called Integrated Gasification Combined-Cycle (IGCC) with Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS), making it among the cleanest power plants in the world, including the acquisition and development of pore space needed for the underground storage of carbon dioxide (a/k/a carbon sequestration).
- Trailblazer Energy Center – Acquisition of 2,000 acres of land for 765 megawatts (MW) gross and 600 MW net Clean Coal project using best available supercritical steam, pulverized coal technology, including the capture 85 to 90 percent of the carbon dioxide produced by combustion.
- Mid-Georgia Cogen - 300 MW dual-fuel, combined cycle cogeneration project located in Kathleen, Georgia. The first independent power plant built in the State of Georgia.
Gas-Fired Power Project Development:
- Development and financing of 1,220 megawatt Combined-Cycle Electric Generating Station in Kiowa, OK, including extension of ERCOT Transmission Line from Savoy, Texas to Kiowa, Oklahoma.
- Acquisition, development and financing of 885 megawatt Combined-Cycle Facility in Scottsville, Virginia and related 14-mile water supply pipeline.
- Acquisition, development and financing of 845 megawatt Combined-Cycle Facility in Billingsley, Alabama and related 21-mile water supply pipeline.
- Acquisition, development and financing of a second 885 megawatt Combined-Cycle Facility in Billingsley, Alabama.
- Acquisition, development and financing of 900 megawatt peaking facility in west Georgia.
Acquisition and Sale of Operating Power Plants:
- Acquisition of six (6) operating gas-fired power plants located in five (5) states.
- Acquisition of three (3) operating gas-fired power plants located in three (3) states.
- Acquisition of 315 megawatt simple-cycle power plant located on the Delmarva Peninsula.
- LL.M. in Taxation, Emory University School of Law, 1991
- J.D., Mercer University School of Law, magna cum laude, 1982
- B.A., Mercer University, cum laude, 1979