Summer H. Martin
Summer H. Martin practices in the area of health law and regulatory compliance. Her areas of experience include representation of public and private health care facilities and providers, including hospitals and health systems, academic medical centers, physicians and physician organizations, suppliers and manufacturers, as well as managed care organizations.
She counsels clients in the establishment and implementation of health reform and regulatory compliance measures, including conducting assessments of compliance with regulatory standards. She also represents providers in responding to governmental investigations, subpoenas and False Claim Act actions.
Ms. Martin regularly advises clients on the structuring of business ventures, acquisitions and dispositions of health care facilities and businesses, professional services agreements, reimbursement matters, and privacy and confidentiality matters. Ms. Martin also counsels client on various matters relating to human subject clinical research programs and studies.
Ms. Martin is the current Chair of the Health Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia. She also serves as a Vice Chair of the Fair Market Affinity Group of the American Health Lawyers Association.
Ms. Martin provides regular pro bono counsel to the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN) and received the 2012 ACS CAN Judicial Advocacy Initiative Award for Excellence. She is a member of the Be the Match Foundation Georgia Leadership Council and is a member of the Host Committee for the Be the Match Georgia Tribute Dinner. She has previously served on the Special Events Committee of the March of Dimes, Georgia Chapter.
Ms. Martin has been ranked by Chambers USA as one of Georgia's leading lawyers for health care law and Atlanta Magazine has recognized Ms. Martin as a Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Star.
- J.D., Emory University School of Law, with distinction, 1998
- M.B.A., University of Georgia, 1995
- B.B.A., University of Georgia, magna cum laude, 1994
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Georgia Superior Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- "CMS pilot programs aim for multipayer platforms," Managed Healthcare Executive, co-author with Jessica Abrahams, June 2011.
- "Boards must demonstrate adequate governance," Managed Healthcare Executive, co-author with Anthony Balloon, February 2011.
- “Healthcare Governance and Compliance in the Era of ‘Fraud, Waste and Abuse,’” Directors & Boards, Third Quarter 2010, November 2010.
- "CMS's Mandatory Disclosure of Financial Relationships May Have Considerable Impact on Hospitals and Physicians," ABA Health eSource, Vol. No. 4, Issue No. 3, November 2007.
- "Physicians Beware - The Government Cometh: Vendor Relationships Under Fire," AHLA Health Lawyers News, Volume 11, Number 10, June 2007.
Seminars and Presentations:
- "Community Based Physician Research," American Health Lawyers Association Physicians and Physician Organizations Law Institute, February 2008.
- "Recent Stark II Developments Impacting Hospitals: Reporting and Phase III," Georgia Hospital Association Telnet Conference, January 2008.
- "CMS Disclosure of Financial Relationships," Contracting with Physicians and Complying with Stark, Georgia Hospital Association, November 2007.
- "Reporting, Stark and Other Changes Impacting Hospital-Physician Relationships," Pershing Yoakley & Associates Healthcare Business Advisory Council, November 2007.
- "Legal and Compliance Issues Relating to Clinical Research," Health Law Section State Bar of Georgia Advanced Health Care Law, October 2007.