Thomas Wardell focuses on general corporate counseling, corporate finance and securities, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate reorganizations and restructurings. He represents public and private companies in a broad array of industries, and he also counsels companies on compliance and governance matters, including investigations both internal and with regulatory significance.
Mr. Wardell is the leader of MLA’s China-U.S. transactional practice. In this capacity, he regularly advises Chinese companies seeking access to U.S. capital markets. He represents these companies in various securities offerings, including initial public offerings, follow-on offerings, PIPEs, and registered direct offerings, as well as compliance with SEC reporting requirements, governance issues and disclosure requirements.
Mr. Wardell was president and CEO of Versyss from 1988 to 1993. Versyss, which was based in Boston, was a provider of computer systems for small business applications. It was the largest provider in the U.S. for the physician practice and credit union industries and one of the top three providers for the construction and building supply industry. His experience as a CEO gives him unique insight and practical understanding of clients' businesses and the operating problems and issues they face.
While residing in Boston, Mr. Wardell was an adjunct professor at Boston University School of Management and a guest lecturer at Harvard Business School. He also spoke at other law and business schools conducting courses in investment banking, commercial transactions and public finance.
He has been recommended by The Legal 500 and Atlanta Magazine has recognized him as a Georgia Super Lawyer for his advisory services to publicly-held companies.
In 2009, he received a "Commitment to Equality Award” from the Women and Minorities Committee of the State Bar of Georgia for his work in promoting diversity in the legal profession.
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1966
- A.B., Harvard College, cum laude, 1962
- "China Machinery Engineering Corporation Celebrates IPO Success, " Finance Monthly, February 2013.
- “Going Public in the U.S.,” A Guide to International Financial Centres: What Chinese Investors Need to Know, Longtail Publishing, 2011 (co-authored with Jeffrey Li).
- "International Corporate Governance Roundtable," Financier Worldwide, February 2008.
- "How A Law Firm Can Assist General Counsel In Their Enhanced Role," The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, August 2007.
- Investigations as an Opportunity to Reformulate Operational Response to Business Risk," Financier Worldwide, July 2007.
- "Corporate Compliance: Casting A Wide Net," Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, September 2006.
Seminars and Presentations:
- "Diversity in the Legal Profession: A Panel Discussion on Law School Admissions, Recruitment and Retention Best Practices in Law Firms and Corporate Legal Departments," State Bar of Georgia, March 22, 2007.
- "Directors & M&A: Best Practices for Board Members," Directors & Boards Seminar, January 24, 2007.
- "Front and Center: Sustaining Ethical Cultures Over the Long Haul," Compliance Week 2006, June 8, 2006.
- "The Value Proposition of an Internal Investigation: A Four Stage Model," Compliance Week 2006, June 7, 2006.